Acupuncture Treatments in Manhattan
What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture involves inserting extremely fine needles into strategic areas on the body. Traditional Chinese medicine explains that acupuncture focuses on correcting imbalances of energy, but in Western medicine, it is more commonly known for treating pain. Acupuncture is used to help stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissues and can be used to prevent and treat disease, as well as improve general health.
What Conditions Can Acupuncture Treat?
Acupuncture can be used to treat a variety of conditions. Some of these include:
- Chronic pain, including lower back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, neck pain
- Emotional disorders, including anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), tension
- Digestive issues, including nausea, vomiting, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), spastic colon, gastritis
- Respiratory and ENT conditions, including sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, sore throat, recurrent chest infections, allergies
- Neurological disorders and neurological-related problems, including migraine headaches, facial tics, stroke, high blood pressure
- Other problems, including chronic fatigue, addiction, skin disorders, heart disorders
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Acupuncture stimulates the nervous system to release chemicals in the muscles, spinal cord and brain. These chemicals can either change the experience of pain or trigger the release of other chemicals and hormones that influence the body’s own internal regulating system. As a result, acupuncture can stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities, effectively promoting physical and emotional wellness.
The Acupuncture Procedure
During acupuncture, hair thin needles are placed in very specific locations. Most patients report feeling minimal discomfort as the needles are inserted. The needles may be heated or mild electric current may be applied to them during the treatment. The needles are usually left in place for 5-20 minutes, but no longer than 60 minutes. The needles are then carefully removed.
How Many Acupuncture Treatments Are Need?
The number of treatments varies from individual to individual. It is common to have as many as 10 or more sessions as part of one treatment cycle. Regular monthly visits may also be recommended as a preventive measure to maintain symptom relief.
Schedule A Consultation
If you have any symptoms that may warrant acupuncture, the first step is scheduling a consultation with our board-certified physiatrist at Park Avenue Medical Professionals. Our practice is known for our compassionate care and personalized approach. Schedule an appointment today by contacting our office at 212.427.2000. You can also make an appointment by filling out this form.