Gastroenterology in Manhattan
What is a gastroenterologist?
A gastroenterologist, also known as a stomach doctor or GI doctor, is a physician dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, and management of gastrointestinal tract and liver diseases.
Our stomach specialists in Manhattan’s Upper East Side have extensive knowledge of the physiology of the gastrointestinal organs, including:
- Movement of material through the stomach and intestines
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients in the body
- Removal of waste from the system
- The function of the liver as a digestive organ
What procedures do gastroenterologists perform?
Stomach doctors can perform a variety of procedures for diagnostic as well as therapeutic purposes. These include:
- Colonoscopy / colon cancer screening
- Upper endoscopy
- Small bowel capsule study
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Urea breath test to detect Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
What do gastroenterologists treat?
Gastroenterologists provide high-quality, comprehensive care for patients with a wide range of symptoms and conditions. Common conditions treated by gastroenterologists include:
- Colon polyps
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Peptic ulcers
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac disease
What are the signs and symptoms of a gastrointestinal (GI) disorder?
Scheduling an appointment with a GI doctor is advised if you are experiencing any symptoms of a gastrointestinal disorder, which may include:
- Rectal bleeding
- Changes in bowel habits
- Uncontrollable bowel movement urges
- Pale-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Acid reflux
- Abdominal pain or bloating
- Excessive gas or belching
- Esophageal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Park Avenue Medical Professionals’ gastroenterologists offer services on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Our board-certified NYC gastroenterologists have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating all types of GI problems, including abdominal pain, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), heartburn and more. Learn more about our gastroenterology services, including colon cancer screening and upper endoscopy, by contacting our office at 212.427.2000. You can also make an appointment by filling out this form.